Texas Dark Sky October 19-21st
Thursday, October 19th
Sunset 7:19pm for Terlingua, TX
Eat brunch at Whataburger….yummie
Scenic overlook of El Paso from Murchison Rogers Park – 1600 Scenic Dr, El Paso, TX 79902
Option 1 hour 15 minutes to White Sands Missile Range Museum – Owen Rd, White Sands Missile Range, NM 88002
Free Hours on weekdays are 8:00 am to 4:00 pm At The Gate:
- Enter the visitors center parking lot and park your car.
- At this point you can decide if you want to drive your car or walk a short distance to the museum.
- If you decide to walk, you will need a photo ID and you can walk along the sidewalk to the right of the vehicle inspection area.
- Follow the sidewalk across the first street and cross the main road at the crosswalk toward the museum.
- If you decide to drive, follow the procedure below:
Getting a vehicle security pass at the Las Cruces Gate:
- After parking your car, take your driverÂ´s license, vehicle registration and proof of insurance and enter the visitor center building. They will issue you a security pass to drive to the museum.
- Return to your car and drive to the inspection point. Once the security guards have cleared you, proceed straight ahead and turn left into the museum parking lot.
30 minutes to White Sands National Monument
Leave by 1pm for Maverick Junction, Big Bend National Park, TX 79834 6 hour 20 minute drive
Dinner around 10:30-11pm at Starlight Theatre, 631 Ivey Rd, Terlingua, TX 79852 5:00 pm – 12:00 am (the best restaurant I’ve ate in Texas)
Night photos of Terlingua ghost town
Friday, October 20th
Morning photos around Terlingua / Big Bend National Park
Open 9-5pm for free Museum of the Big Bend 400 N Harrison St, Alpine, TX 79832
Dinner before going to Observatory Penny’s 50’s Diner 2407 US-90, Alpine, TX 79830 or Reata Restaurant
50 minutes to McDonald Observatory Twilight Program then star party they requires us there by 6:20pm.
After McDonald Observatory, Marfa Lights, Stardust motel and Prada store
Saturday, October 21st
Leave 9:30am to fly back, maybe stop and get photos of Mountain Time Zone Highway Sign Van Horn, TX 79855 31.042297, -104.908562 And the Mexican border wall and on the way in Fort Hancock 3 hour 20 minute drive from Hotel to car rental place
Perhaps the best-kept secret about the Big Bend is the view from the porch in Terlingua Ghost Town. Most afternoons you can see the Santa Fe de Los Pinos mountain range over 80 miles south in Mexico, and of course such local landmarks as the Chisos Mountains and Mule Ears peaks. Visitors will also find a trading company/gift shop, art galleries, unique lodging options, restaurants, and bars. Terlingua was a mining town around the turn of the century and was the site of the first famous championship chili cook off in 1967, that today draws over 10,000 “chili heads” from all over the world on the first Saturday every November.